Thursday, March 6, 2008

Maybe I Should Stay Out of Politics

OK, Mike Huckabee is now out of the Presidential race. I would think that after all of these years I'd learn that my preferred candidate won't win.

But then again, maybe that shouldn't be surprising, because since when are the views of Christians supposed to be popular in a culture? It seems to me that Jesus said that if they hate us, it's because they hated him first.

I'm using the term "hate" here very loosely. I really don't want to say that supporters of one candidate necessarily literally "hate" the supporters of another candidate. But at the same time, why should I think that the political views I hold will be popular enough to be on the winning side? Since when are Christian's views supposed to represent the majority opinion?

And, by the way, Huckabee didn't hold to my positions on every issue. I really like the "Fair Tax" idea, which he supports. I'm pro-life, and he supports a pro-life amendment to the Constitution. Combine that with the fact that he has projected a personality that seems would be one that could rally people to his candicacy and lead people to support him when he is in office, and I think he's make a good President.

But now, we are left with John McCain on the Republican side, and either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama on the Democrat side. And whether we like it or not, there is almost a 100% probability that the next President of the United States will either be a democrat or a republican. No third party candidate will win the election.

So for now, the question I face is whether or not I care enough to vote for McCain (who, by the way, was my second-to-least favorite candidate vying for the republican nomination--Ron Paul was my least favorite) just because the prospect of either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama and their leftist, liberal views would be an alternative I really wouldn't want to see at all.

Right now, the likelihood is that I'll vote for McCain, even though his views really do not represent my own as much as the views of most of the republican rivals he faced for the nomination.

No comments: